Avahi is a framework for multicast DNS service discovery.
Together, they are better than peanut butter and chocolate...Or peas and carrots...Or something.
Back in November Lennart Poettering posted to the avahi mailing list with a patch that would add zeroconf support into distcc using the avahi framework.Ã‚Â I tried applying it at the time, but I couldn't get avahi working on my machine.
Fast forward to the present (Jan. 2005).Ã‚Â The patch applies cleanly, and works pretty much out of the box!Ã‚Â I've made my changes available online here:
- My changes against distcc-2.18.3-3: distcc-avahi-debian.patch
- Debian description file: distcc_2.18.3-4.dsc
- Debian changes file: distcc_2.18.3-4.changes
- Debian diff file: distcc_2.18.3-4.diff.gz
- Debian package: distcc_2.18.3-4_i386.deb
Hopefully this can find its way into the main Debian archives soon.Ã‚Â There's already a bug report for it (bug #287832)