My Wordpress dashboard has been nagging me to upgrade to the latest version for quite a while now. I was running 2.5.1 up until today, which was released back in April. I've been putting off upgrading because it's always such a pain if you follow the recommended instructions, and I inevitably end up forgetting to migrate some customization I made to the old version.
So, to kill two birds with one stone, I decided to try my hand at upgrading Wordpress by using Mercurial to track my changes to the default install, as well as the changes between versions of Wordpress.
First, start off with a copy of my blog's code in a directory called 'blog'.
Download Wordpress 2.5.1 and 2.6.3 (the version I want to upgrade to).
Import initial Wordpress code:
tar zxf wordpress-2.5.1.tar.gz # NB: unpacks into wordpress/
mv wordpress wordpress-2.5.1
hg commit -A -m 'wordpress 2.5.1'
Apply my changes:
hg clone wordpress-2.5.1 wordpress-mine cd wordpress-mine hg qnew -m 'my blog' my-blog.patch hg locate -0 | xargs -0 rm cp -ar ../blog/* . hg addremove hg qrefresh cd ..
The 'hg locate -0' line removes all the files currently tracked by Mercurial. This is needed so that any files I deleted from my copy of Wordpress also are deleted in my Mercurial repository.
The result of these two steps is that I have a repository that has the original Wordpress source code as one revision, with my changes applied as a Mercurial Queue patch.
Now I need to tell Mercurial what's changed between versions 2.5.1 and 2.6.3. To do this, I'll make a copy (or clone) of the 2.5.1 repository, and then put all the 2.6.3 files into it. Again, I use 'hg locate -0 | xargs -0 rm' to delete all the files from the old version before copying the new files in. Mercurial is smart enough to notice if files haven't changed, and the subsequent commit with the '-A' flag will add any new files or delete any files that were removed between 2.5.1 and 2.6.3.
Upgrade the pristine 2.5.1 to 2.6.3:
hg clone wordpress-2.5.1 wordpress-2.6.3 tar zxf wordpress-2.6.3 # NB: Unpacks into wordpress/ cd wordpress-2.6.3 hg locate -0 | xargs -0 rm cp -ar ../wordpress/* . hg commit -A -m 'wordpress-2.6.3' cd ..
Now I need to perform the actual upgrade to my blog. First I save the state of the current modifications, then pull in the 2.5.1 -> 2.6.3 changes from the wordpress-2.6.3 repository. Then I reapply my changes to the new 2.6.3 code.
Pull in 2.6.3 to my blog:
cd wordpress-mine hg qsave -e -c hg pull ../wordpress-2.6.3 hg update -C hg qpush -a -m
VoilÃ ! A quick rsync to my website, and the upgrade is complete!
I have to admit, I don't fully grok some of these Mercurial commands. It took a few tries to work out this series of steps, so there's probably a better way of doing it. I'm pretty happy overall though; I managed a successful Wordpress upgrade, and learned something about Mercurial in the process! The next upgrade should go much more smoothly now that I've figured things out a bit better.